Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My maltese 10lbs accidentally ate a lomotil.It's the smallest

Customer Question

My maltese 10lbs accidentally ate a lomotil.It's the smallest dose 2.5
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned because Zoe ingested 2.5mgs of Lomotil.While in selected cases we can use Lomotil I don't normally recommend using Imodium or Lomotil as it works by slowing the gastrointestinal tract down so that water in the stool can be reabsorbed. It is a narcotic and can lead to sedation and in some dogs can stop normal gut movements entirely. If the diarrhea is related to a bacterial toxin the Imodium allows more toxin to be absorbed.A normal dog dose is 0.04mg per pound of body weight, at 10 pounds a normal dose for a dog Zoe's size would be 0.4mgs. She ate roughly 5-6 times a usual dose.Ideally if it has been less than an hour or so vomiting could be induced before she has time to absorb it. If she is not showing any symptoms yet, then you can try and induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide. But if she is showing any symptoms then that is not recommended. It may be too late now to induce vomiting, and if it has been more then an hour and a half the medication is likely already absorbed and it is too late.But if she just ate the pill to induce vomiting you can give her 2 teaspoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide soaked up with bread chunks or ice cream. Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling so she vomits.If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once. If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if the pill pieces are present. Minor side effects from the medication can be a dry mouth and constipation. It may help to add 2 to 3 tablespoons of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal and large amounts of water to each meal help prevent those side effects or at least lessen them. Dangerous side effects from too much of this medication can be severe lethargy/sedation or paradoxical excitement, or a very slow respiratory rate. If Zoe is showing those symptoms then she needs immediate veterinary care. If you do induce vomiting once she clears her stomach to try and settle her stomach today after she vomits you can try either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one quarter of a 10mg tablet every 12 hours.OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one quarter of a 10mg tablet every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach.If it has been too long to induce vomiting all you can do is forestall constipation the best you can and watch for more serious symptoms.Please let me know if you have any further questions.