Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your girl ate a push pin last night.I do not recommend inducing vomiting in cases where dogs eat sharp objects. The chances of tearing her esophagus or stomach
as it contracts to force the pin out is much too high. In this case we need to try and hope that we can get this to pass through her gastrointestinal tract. And that her stomach acid helps us by dissolving the fragments a bit.To help I recommend starting with a vaseline sandwich. Take a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with a second slice. Feed it to her bite sized piece by piece or she will make a huge vaseline mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the sharp pieces slip rather than catch.For the next few days, until the pin passes, she'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the sharp pieces are surrounded and the gut isn't irritated contracting on just pin.A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken
, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, white rice. Add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, not pie filling, just pumpkin, to each meal for fiber.You'll need to check her stools frequently for the pin over the next few days. I would expect this to pass within the next 3-4 days if it doesn't get stuck somewhere.Signs that things aren't going well, and she needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy.If you aren't seeing the pin in the 3-4 days a veterinary visit and an abdominal radiograph to see where the pin is located is an option. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have her checked.Once the pieces are passed and she's feeling well then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.Let me know if you have any questions.