Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My dog has been suffering from diahrrea days our

Customer Question

My dog has been suffering from diahrrea for several days our vet had us purchase Preference from Honest Dog Kitchen. He hates it and threw his breakfast up. Now he is lethargic and won't eat at all. He was prescribed metronidazole 500 mg. What can we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.
How long has Shamus been on the Metronidazole?
Did the vet do a fecal sample check to see if he has abnormal bacterial or parasites in the stool and in the intestines?
When is the last time he ate? Is he still drinking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since Friday 7/3. Yes our vet did two fecal samples one in his office and sent another to a lab. Results showed no abnormal bacterial or parasites. He ate this morning but threw it up. He is drinking normally. thanks Dr, Gabby.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vetprofen 10 mg is another medication he has been taking for a couple of months
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Ok great. Thank you.
There is a lot you can try at home today.
1. Do not feed him anything until 8 hours have passed since he vomited. To help keep his blood sugar up during this fast you can put a spoonful of honey, or pancake syrup, in his mouth every 3-4 hours.
2. To help settle his stomach you can give him a human stomach acid reducer like pepcid ac or zantac. 1/4 of a tablet, per 1-15 pounds of dog every 12 hours. It is fine to give the stomach acid reducer with metronidazole.
3. After the fast offer him one bite of plain cooked chicken and cooked rice or pasta. Wait an hour to see if he is going to vomit or have diarrhea. If he does, wait a few hours and try again. If he dose not vomit or have diarrhea then gradually give him more of the chicken and rice mixture. If you do not feel like cooking you can use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and ready cooked rice.
4. If his gums feel dry to the touch then he is probably dehydrated. In that case, give him a tablespoon of children's pedialyte drink with a syringe or eye dropper every hour until his gums are moist.
5. See the emergency vet today if:
He becomes very lethargic and he is not getting up and moving around.
His gums turn pale or an abnormal color.
There is blood in the stool or vomit.
He can not keep water down for more than 12 hours.
6. If he is still having diarrhea tomorrow he needs to see the vet again. The next step would be blood work to rule out infection or metabolic disease. For example, liver inflammation can cause vomiting or diarrhea. That is just an example but not to make you worry.
7. No vetprofen while he has an upset gi tract with vomiting or diarrhea.
How does this plan sound? Do you have any additional questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are concerned about vetprofen. Our vet said there were some liver problems but still wanted him to take it.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Ok if your vet told you to keep him on it, then that is what you should do. But I would not give it if he has any vomiting or diarrhea as that could make it worse and cause further gastrointestinal upset.Once he has been back to normal for 24 hours you can put him back on the vetprofen.While he is on the vetprofen he should have his blood work done, to recheck his liver values, done every 6 months to make sure there are no changes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they just did a blood test a week or so ago and it was good. We will take him in tomorrow but since he quit eating today we are concerned.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Ok if the blood test a week ago was good I would not be that worried. Most likely he just has an upset stomach from the new food.Try the stomach acid reducer and the chicken and rice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you we will do that
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Try not to worry too much.