brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My terrier just got hold of an ancient cow rib and chewed some

Customer Question

My terrier just got hold of an ancient cow rib and chewed some up. Sharp splinters remain, my doc isn't in on Sun
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today. For ingestion of sharp fragments such as this bone, I do NOT recommend that we induce vomiting. Forceful expulsion of the stomach contents could cause the bone fragments to puncture the stomach or esophagus.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Instead, I recommend feeding a high bulk diet - give several slices of high fiber bread for example. The idea is to pad any sharp areas as they pass through the intestines. Do not give any antacids - we want the stomach acid to digest and soften the bone. Also, make sure that she stays well hydrated. Offer dilute chicken broth or water from a tuna can to encourage her to drink as much as possible. This will keep the intestinal contents moist so that they are easier to pass. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi Leslie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Betty. How is everything going?

Dr. Susan