Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has arthritis can I use a topical cream containing

Customer Question

My dog has arthritis can I use a topical cream containing flurbiprofen, tramadol, clonidine, cyclone spring, and bupivacaine
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
While you could use a topical cream containing Tramadol, the rest is not something we want to use with Kayla. This is because some of the drugs you have mentioned are not dog safe. As well, we don't typically find topical treatments to be of as much benefit to dogs as they are to us (especially since our dog patients will often lick such creams off reducing their effectiveness and increasing their risk).
Instead, we do find oral/systemic treatments for arthritis to be of more benefit to our dogs. As I noted, Tramadol is a common pain relief option. As well, we commonly use dog safe anti-inflammatory drugs like Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, or Previcox as needed for our arthritic dogs.
Otherwise, I would note that there are some OTC options that you can also try with Kayla. Specifically, we often find glucosamine/chondroitin helpful for dogs in these situations. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There are a range of products on the markets and examples of ones we typically use for dogs include Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet. It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in dogs with mild signs and would be worth considering here. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight.
Further to this, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be helpful in soothing sore joints. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for him, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for your lass.
Overall, the treatment you have suggested is not something we'd want to use with Kayla as it carries the risk of more harm then good. Instead, we'd want to consider starting her on joint supplements as I have noted above. And if her signs are severe, then dog safe anti-inflammatories and/or Tramadol from her would be much better options for keeping her comfortable.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! :
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kayla. How is everything going?

nekovet