Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

MY ***** ***** IS 13 YEARS OLD SHE HAD AN EMEGENCY OPERATION 3 YEARS AGO THINK STOM

Customer Question

MY ***** ***** IS 13 YEARS OLD SHE HAD AN EMEGENCY OPERATION 3 YEARS AGO FOR I THINK STOMACH REMOVAL SINCE THEN ONE TEAT HAS A LARGE SWELLING LARGER THAN A MARBLE AND ONE HAS GONE BRIGHT RED RIGHT ON THE TIP WHAT COULD IT BE PLEASE AND WHAT CAN I DO
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now if we have a swelling on a teat that is large and red, we do have some serious concerns here. Specifically, we would have to consider that this could be a cyst, fatty lump (lipoma), an infection (abscess), benign growth or a nasty cancer. And I have to note that if it is large and turning the skin red, we'd have to be worried that it is growing, stretching her skin, and this could ulcerate her skin (which could lead to infection).

Therefore, in this situation, the best way to approach an abnormal mass like this is to have your vet evaluate the mass via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the mass. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If fatty material is removed, then its just a lipoma and one needs removing if it is causing issue for the skin. If clear fluid is removed, then a cyst would be likely. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the mass can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment.

Overall, if this mass is growing and causing the skin irritation and redness, we would consider those aforementioned concerns. Therefore, if she is due a booster soon, then do consider moving that appointment up so that you can have your vet sample this mass to identify its cause and help you treat this effectively to address it for Bella.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )