Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog got bit by a snake about 3 hours ago on his lip , his

Customer Question

my dog got bit by a snake about 3 hours ago on his lip , his jaw and neck is swelled up . the snake was a blackish snake i couldn't see him good because he was in some thick blackberry bushes and it was about half hour before dark. may have been a water moccasin , it was to dark for me to tell , all i could see was about a foot of him down to his tail , it looked like rattles about one and half inches long and he was shaking it like a rattle snake but i didn't hear any sound. what can i do for my dog ?

My dog is a mountain Curr about 50 lbs. and 5 years old

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There is nothing of value for owners to do for their dogs at home who have been bitten by snakes. These dogs need to be administered antivenom as soon as possible and then treated supportively to combat shock and pain. Neither antihistamines corticosteroids, or antibiotics have been found to be primary therapies for these dogs.
I hope that you've had him attended to by the time of this posting. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.