Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog's eye has been teary . Last time we went into

Customer Question

My dog's eye has been teary for awhile. Last time we went into vet, they gave me eye drops that helped a little bit but the teariness returned. I kept her eye wiped and cleaned for a few months and it seemed to be fine. Lately though the cleaning hasn't helped and now her eye is red and swollen around the rims of her eye (not the eye itself). The white part of her eye is a little redder than the other eye, but not significantly. Her tears have been mostly clear, and occasionally the redness on the rims of her eye will bleed. Which could be from her scratching it. Help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry that your pup's eyes are hurting. Unfortuately when it comes to the eyes there needs to be an actual diagnosis before any drops are used. There are drops for an infection and drops for a torn cornea etc. One drop will not help the other,. IF she is pawing at the area she may have torn the cornea.
It is suggested that you see your vet and let them stain the eye and check the cornea. To keep the dog from scratching and doing more damage, get an E collar (cone) and use that until you see your vet.
Eye problems are taken very seriously and I am sure they will get her in right away if you call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So do I still have to pay $19 just to be told to go to the vet?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Aside from wiping them clean, putting a warm washcloth over the area and cleaning out the eye with a sterile saline eye wash there is nothing you can do without a proper diagnosis. I know this is not what you had hoped to hear, but this could be serious.