Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 8 year old olde english bulldog is shaking and will not

Customer Question

my 8 year old olde english bulldog is shaking and will not eat but will drink water. he was fine 5 hours ago i left then came back and he is sitting down shaking and will only drink water
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about this concern.Any type of shaking/shivering/tremoring is a red flag for veterinarians. Possible causes could include:- nausea- pain, which could be abdominal pain or musculoskeletal pain (like an injury)- A recent seizure- An endocrine condition. Specifically, Addison's disease (where the body is producing an insufficient amount of its own steroids from the adrenal glands)- Stress or FearNow, with refusal to eat, it wouldn't hurt to give an antacid to try and help settle the stomach.To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. 4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. If he has ingested anything new in past 48 hours, new dog treat, any human food, or a new bag of food, than that could be cause. We also can't rule-out some type of hypersensitivity reaction. Very sorry that he is not feeling well. Wish i could do more, but hope that info helps. if there is anything else I can help answer, please let me know. Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?