Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My lab is having anxiety because of the fireworks. Can i give

Customer Question

My lab is having anxiety because of the fireworks. Can i give him some clonapin
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.
I'm sorry that your dog is reacting with anxiety to the fireworks although he's certainly not alone, as you might expect!
This drug, Klonopin (Clonazepam) can be given to dogs for anxiety issues although it's off label to do so.
How much does he weigh and what milligram size of drug do you have?
There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
70lbs and i have 1mg
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the answers to my questions.
Dosage recommendations vary considerably with this drug, ranging from 0.1 – 1 mg/kg up to 2-3 times per day, Generally dosages are started near the low end which would be 3 mg for a 70 lb dog. I don't know if this will be enough to ease his anxiety but you could give him another 1 mg in an hour or so, if necessary.
There's not a lot of information on the possible adverse side effects of this drug in dogs; however, sedation (or just the opposite, excitement) and balance issues may be seen.
I should point out that it would be illegal for me to advise the use of a drug which has been dispensed for another patient (human or otherwise) but I can provide the dosage information which is what I have done.
I hope this helps. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rebecca,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb