Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  B.S.; D.V.M.; Small animal emergency and general medicine for 26 years
24704774

I have a 15 year old fox terrier who has refused any food since

Customer Question

I have a 15 year old fox terrier who has refused any food since yesterday evening and has been throwing up. She is still drinking water at least.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine.Can I please ask you a few questions before we get started? Did her symptoms seem to occur suddenly?Any weight loss?Diarrhea?Can she hold down water?Is she spayed?Is she weak or wobbly?Any new food or treats fed? People food? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, sudden symptoms started last evening. No weight loss. Yes, diarrhea. She's drinking a lot of water, but I think she throws up a lot of it, maybe keeps some down. She doesn't seem to be weak. She trembles a little just occasionally but that's not especially unusual. she's on a special diet for her incontinence so her food has been the same for months, and we feed her the same amount twice a day (about 1/2 cup, I think). Her appetite is normally very good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I should add that she was digging in the yard yesterday and may have eaten something she shouldn't. I didn't see her eating anything but who knows?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, she is spayed.

Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks. Because of her age she is more susceptible to the effects of dehydration due to vomiting and diarrhea losses. Additionally, she is more likely to become dehydrated faster than a younger patient. In any vomiting patient, it is important to rest the gut--i.e. put nothing (food or water) into it. Obviously this means that although the gut will be resting and allow to heal, dehydration will worsen if the vomiting fails to subside on its own.She has already "fasted" herself, but is still vomiting. She is likely already dehydrated and will need fluids if this continues any longer. By fluids I mean by injection--either under the skin or intravenously (IV). This requires a veterinary visit. She could also then be given an anti-vomiting injection. In older, potentially frail, and in the very young, low blood sugar can also develop and even cause trembling becoming severe enough to go into seizures. If you cannot get to a veterinarian, then after 10 hours of nothing by mouth, offer very small amounts of plain pedialyte mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with water. Offer only a tablespoon or 2 at a time, every 30 minutes or so, increasing this amount gradually and decreasing the frequency as long as vomiting doesn't persist.After this you may gradually start offering small (1 TBS) amounts of food (after she has been ok with the pedialyte for 1/2 a day) every couple hours or so, and, as with the water, gradually, over a few days, get her back onto her normal schedule. No table food or treats. Bland diet is not particularly necessary since she is already on a special diet. Please let me know if I can answer anything further. Kindly, Dr. Elaine
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine from Just Answer
Just wanted to know if Cora improved.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** dog's name is***** is doing better, but I had to take her to the emergency pet hospital where she got shots for dehydration, antibiotics, and something to calm her stomach. So your advice was ok, but I was concerned about her dehydration.

Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update.
Dr. Elaine