Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog is sick. She has congestive heart failure, and now because

Customer Question

My dog is sick. She has congestive heart failure, and now because of the medicine her kidney values are high. She also has diarrhea and vomited at the vets office yesterday. Doc changed her medication does and gave her a shoot for vomit. She hasn't eaten in 24 hours and my vets closed for the holiday weekend. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear about this concern. I will wait for you to reply with a simple, hello, so I know we are properly connected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I do really feel this is well worth an ER vet visit to ensure she stays stabilized over the weekend. I can suggest an antacid to help settle the stomach some that is safe to give, but not really good enough.To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. 4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. Pepcid, would be my favorite choice from the above list. Here is a bland diet recommendation:Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheeseAndCooked white rice*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white riceVeterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets as an easy alternative including Science Diet I/D formula.Wish I could do more, but hope that info helps. Dr. Andy