Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

I have a dog that I think that may have been poisoned from few days ago dog is still alive

Customer Question

I have a dog that I think that may have been poisoned from few days ago dog is still alive vomiting a little b vomiting a little bit of blood how much penicillin should I give the dog regular vet not in on vac was told by associated to boil chicken and rice and give to a dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Very sorry to hear about this concern.Penicillin? I wouldn't give penicillin. There is no clinical indication for using antibiotics. In fact, with vomiting and diarrhea, you actually could make digestive problems even worse. I would not wait for your vet. Get to any vet, even an ER trip today! its critical for much better supportive medication, and a basic blood test to evaluate organ function.To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. 4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. Hope that info helpsGood LuckDr. Andy