Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

7 year old male chihuahua bloated. Laying on belly. Anus puffed

Customer Question

7 year old male chihuahua bloated. Laying on belly. Anus puffed out. Gave him 5 ml of prune juice concentrate how long do you think it will take until he's going to poop?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This sounds like a medical emergency far beyond simple constipation if he is lying on his side panting with a bloated stomach. My top worry would not be constipation unless he has historically had several bouts of known constipation. Constipation is quite rare in a dog all by itself unless a dog ingests something sandy (like sand, litterbox material, etc) or another problem that has led to profound constipation such as liver or kidney failure or fluid loss from another source. Constipation is usually a symptom of dehydration.
My worry more than constipation is that he is "bloated" for another reason such as fluid accumulation in his abdomen/tummy or twisted stomach. Both of these are medical emergencies.
My best recommendation is to have him seen today/now.
Prune juice generally is not recommended in dogs; it doesn't work well. Instead we have prescription drugs like latulose to help if we feel a dog is clinically constipated to the point drug therapy might work. Instead we focus on things to hydrate (such as fluid therapy). Some dogs for constipation do better with increased fiber such as canned pumpkin whereas others it makes the situation worse.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.