petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

Our bernese mtn dog has a hairball I think. She had a sore

Customer Question

Our bernese mtn dog has a hairball I think. She had a sore spot on her rear from a nip from another dog, and until I got a cone on her was licking it a lot. Then later, she is acting exactly like when our cat has a hairball. Trying to vomit, trying to get it out. I feel so badly for her. I've read that maybe I should give her more fiber or oils. Thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Dogs do not really experience hairballs, but if she ingested a good deal of hair as a result of the licking, she certainly could have caused some irritation of the esophagus. Unfortunately the only thing that will resolve that is time. I would not suggest any oils be given orally as there is too great a risk of aspiration into her airways.

The best thing to do until this resolves is to soften her food by adding warm water or broth to it and feeding smaller portions at a time. If this continues for longer than a few days, I would definitely have your vet examine her.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What she is coughing up when she can hack somethung up, is white and foamy. She was also chewing on a hoof she found under our bed. Is it possible that is what it was?

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Anything that she swallowed can cause irritation and can lead to the hacking. It is also possible that she could be coughing due to airway disease, like a bronchitis, and it would have nothing to do with anything she swallowed. There would be no harm in giving her a little Robitussin cough syrup to see if it helps. Dose at approximately 1 TBSP per 50 pounds.