Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

We have a 11 year old St Bernard; very old girl. Starting

Customer Question

We have a 11 year old St Bernard; very old girl. Starting to lose her strength.. But still
happy. She has developed a rancid body smell. It is not her breath; from her mouth or
rear end. Smells like a hot spot; but we have searched and cannot find one. What is this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I know it is hard to see your furry friend get older...
The odor is usually caused by a skin condition which you may not see on the surface without shaving her. Try using a medicated bath weekly and, since it is summer, shaving her may help air get to the underneath where this skin condition may be lurking. Malaseb or Dermaplex are very good for this.
There is also a condition caused by liver disease that will give off this strange odor that you cannot determine where it is coming from. I say this because, at her age, I strongly recommend that you have a blood panel done on her to see if she may be suffering from liver disease. When your vet sees her, have them check her anal glands just in case.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. We will have her vet run the blood panel next week.
Excellent! I hope they can determine the odor, Ed. I know exactly what you are talking about...it is very odd and does not happen very often but very difficult to treat. I have had some patients that were started on herbal medications through an Herbal Vet that really worked. This ay be worth a try.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Edward A Kangas. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta