Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

What do you do about a 11 yr old Yorkie that has started to

Customer Question

What do you do about a 11 yr old Yorkie that has started to poop and pee on the floor/rugs? She has been moved to a new house this summer and is having trouble with her hind legs going/coming on stairs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry to hear about your gals condition....I know this is very frustrating but there are solutions.
This may be due to the stress of the move and the anxiety is hard on your sweet gal. Purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store along with Rescue REmedy. These are calming agents and may decrease the anxiety so she will not have mistakes in the house. My other concern is that she has arthritis that is very painful and, with more stairs, this is becoming very painful. This will cause her to make mistakes in the house because it is too painful to get outside or there is an interference with the nerve supply. For now, give your gal aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs and give her a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin available at the pet store. This will add lubrication to her joints to decrease pain.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****