Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was seen by the vet yesterday, she has a temp of 103

Customer Question

My dog was seen by the vet yesterday, she has a temp of 103 is crying and skin is very red, she has been up for the last 2 nights with these symptoms, she is rubbing her body all over the bed and crying. Yesterday the vet gave her a coritzone shot, she still has the symptoms she had yesterday when I took her to the vet. Should I give her Benadryl?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor wee Tiffany!

It is a shame to hear that she isn't responding to the Cortisone and is still uncomfortable. In this case, you can use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose) here to help her. A low dose (ie. 0.5 -2 mg per pound of her body weight) can be given every 8-12 hours to help reduce this suspect allergic irritation for her. We like to keep the dose low in dogs, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). Otherwise, further to this, I would note that you can consider bathing her in an emollient shampoo (ie oat meal based) to give her some topical relief and help soothe her signs over this holiday.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )