Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog, 62 lb. English setter, has thrown up several times

Customer Question

My dog, 62 lb. English setter, has thrown up several times overnight and keeps wimpering. She has always had sensitive digestive tract and known allergies to beef and grain. She takes metronidazole daily to help with bowel and indigestion issues and usually things run smoothly. She will not take meds this morning or eat anything, but has drank water. She has urinated several times, but has stained trying to have a bowel movement and what she was able to do, was very loose. Anything you can suggest we do besides chicken and rice diet for a few days to try to make her comfortable?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry you are worried about Izzy. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Is she still vomiting? I would not feed her at all until the vomiting slows down, clear fluids only (broth, water, Gatorade). If she is straining to have a bowel movement, she probably has colitis, inflammation of the lining of her colon. You could try a little Pepto Bismal or Imodium for this, if you can get meds into her. She could take half the human dose of Imodium or Pepto Bismal, twice daily. Probiotics (beneficial bacterial supplements) may be helpful, again once she has stopped vomiting and gets her appetite back. The best thing for her might be an injection of Cerenia, for vomiting and nausea, but that would mean taking her to a veterinarian. Famotidine, Pepcid AC may help with vomiting and nausea. She could take 10 to 20 mg, twice daily. Let me know how she is doing and what else I can answer or help with. Rebecca