Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Can I give my lab trazadone anxiety? He has big trouble

Customer Question

Can I give my lab trazadone for his anxiety? He has big trouble with the fireworks going off
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Trazodone is a drug that we do use for mild anxiety in dogs. It has been reported to be beneficial for dogs with mild thunderstorm phobia, but studies did also show it failed with severely affected dogs. Therefore, this could be tried for fireworks phobia, but may not be the best choice for dogs with severe fears.
In any case, when using this drug, we tend to do so at a dose of 5-10 mg per kilogram of body weight per day. This can be then divided into 2-3 doses spread evenly over the period of use. Just to note, side effects are generally mild and usually just involve GI upset (ie vomiting, appetite loss, drooling, diarrhea), sedation, paradoxical excitement, and panting. Since it is quick onset (~1hr), we tend to give it just before the stressor onset (ie fireworks).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oliver. How is everything going?

nekovet