Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is 6 years old and recently he was seen respiratory

Customer Question

My dog is 6 years old and recently he was seen for upper respiratory infection which we gave him meds from his vet. However, now he again has same signs as before gurgling breathing through nose. He seems to be a little swollen on one side of his neck and isn't doing much movement. However when he does he seems to have a limp and favors on paw . We have given him some meds he had left from his previous visit but the swollen neck and limp have me a little worried. It just happened within one day he was running around the yard next day he wasn't himself
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Depending upon where you live, there are infections of the respiratory tract that can also cause bone infections and lameness such as coccidioidomycosis which is a problem endemic in the American Southwest. Of course his lameness may be due to simple injury and unrelated to the infection that appears to have relapsed. The swelling on one side of his neck is puzzling. It may reflect a swollen lymph node which is consistent with infections but I can't tell from here if it, too, is simply a result of injury. His vet is the best resource for you. The vet knows what your chiweenie looked like when he was first prescribed medication and whether or not your dog's symptoms are related to his initial visit or something new has arisen. it's not unreasonable to give your dog the same medication that was prescribed originally but unless he remisses quickly, I recommend that he be rechecked by his vet at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.