Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a pug dog. I was away on vacation and when I cam back

Customer Question

I have a pug dog. I was away on vacation and when I cam back he had fleas and had scratched himself so hard on his neck he scratched himself raw in a small patch. I gave him some flea medicine and also a tiny bit of benadryl so he could sleep and stop scratching. This was yesterday. Today he is pretty sleepy. He's not scratching anymore - I also purchased a soft cone to protect him from scratching the spot on his neck. I am worries that he may be acting too lethargic today.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If you dosed him at between 1-2 mg/lb of Benadryl (maximum dose 50 mg), you didn't overdose him. i can understand a bit of residual drowsiness from that antihistamine but he should be remissing by now. Which flea medicine did you give him? It's possible that he's reacting to that instead of the antihistamine.