Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

Our dog has been on predinose weeks because of weakness

Customer Question

Our dog has been on predinose for 2 weeks because of weakness in back legs. Her appetite was decreased so I bought some canned dog food to wet her appetite. Yesterday and today I mixed it with her J/D prescription can food and starting this morning she had 2 bouts diarhea. When she just went out now she had diarrhea mixed with blood. Our vet is gone for the holiday weekend. I am assuming it was the new food I introduced but in seeing this it might be the prednisone although she had been fine on it. She was taking 10mg 3x week. She is 80lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Do you still needs assistance with your girl and the prednisone/diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am really thinking it might have been the Iams canned food I started giving her yesterday. She is drinking water and urinating. She is moving about and is somewhat perky. She has not had another bout of diarrhea in the past 2 hours.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Ok sure. So the prednisone can cause gastrointestinal upset including vomiting and diarrhea. And the canned food probably pushed her over the edge.I would give her a human stomach acid reducer. You can do one tablet of human pepcid ac or zantc every 12 hours.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Feed her a bland diet of plain cooked chicken or ground beef mixed with cooked white rice or cooked plain pasta.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Feed her the bland diet for 48 hours. Then start to mix in the j/d to the bland diet.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
You can give her 2 tablet of human immodium ad to help stop the diarrhea.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
If there is more than a spoonful of blood in the stool, or the stool becomes watery, then she needs to see the emergency vet right away.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
You can also add probiotics to her food to help put the good bacterial flora back in the intestines. Fortiflora, by Purina, is a good one you can buy at Petsmart.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
How does that sound?
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby