Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 4year old rescue Bichon type dog. His Alk Phos has

Customer Question

I have a 4year old rescue Bichon type dog. His Alk Phos has steadily increased over past year now up to 4,000. Abdominal ultrasound in winter was non diagnostic. CBC normal. He is generally happy. He is allergies and is on Apoquel. Occasionally he seems to have low appetite and skips a meal... 1-2 times a week
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today. So far, based on your description, I'm not too concerned. I agree that the elevation in ALP is unusually high (it's not uncommon to see mild elevations in many patients).
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Since he is not showing any clinical signs of a problem, and his ultrasound was normal, I would consider one last test. The test is called "pre- and post-prandial bile acids", which tests for liver function. If these results are also normal, I would leave this issue alone. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.