brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My dog is at the vet after he was overheated. He came with

Customer Question

My dog is at the vet after he was overheated. He came with temperature of 107 and now it is 101 after 10 minutes. Should I leave him or take him home. The bill is 4k.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today. I do recommend leaving him at the hospital, and there are several reasons. One moment and I will continue typing them to you.
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Although his body temperature has returned to normal, we can still see severe effects from his hyperthermia. Dogs can go into a state of DIC or "disseminated intravascular coagulation", in which blood clots can begin to form throughout the body. This can cause blockage of blood vessels and damage to any tissues in the area. We can also see brain swelling, or cerebral edema. The kidneys may fail, and we can also see serious damage to the GI tract. I would keep him in the hospital on IV fluids, monitor his urine output, blood pressure, neurologic condition and other vital signs. Additional treatments will depend on what we see on tests such as coagulation profiles.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I leave him just for monitoring or should I go through blood tests, xrays, etc?
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
At a minimum, I recommend clotting tests and additional screening bloodwork (a CBC and serum chemistry).
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I'm not set up for phone calls at this time. We can continue in this format if you wish, or I can opt out and allow another expert to help.