Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

We suspect our year old cane cross my have swallowed a golf

Customer Question

We suspect our year old cane cross my have swallowed a golf ball. Is there any way to tell without an x ray? Would we be able to feel it externally felling around his stomach?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. This is a situation that can be definitely determined with an x-ray. If you get him to your vet, they can take an x-ray to see if it is there or it isn't. A golf ball will show up pretty well on an x-ray. Some things that are possibly eaten may not show up well on an x-ray and leave doubt as to if it was eaten or not. A golf ball will be a definite yes or no. I actually have taken an x-ray and seen one in a stomach of a dog. The owners lived on a golf course and knew he had eaten one in the past. It was in the stomach sitting as a benign object in that dog. IT was too big to pass into the intestinal tract so it just sat in the stomach.