Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog a cocker spaniel age 12 has developed a large amount

Customer Question

my dog a cocker spaniel age 12 has developed a large amount of clusters of raised large red lumps on her legs, feet, face...some are like cauliflower, some are just big and red. One popped and it was filled with a large amount of white puss. She suffers from severe allergies and I have had her on prednisone for the past 2 months low dose 10 mg every other day or so...her immune system is weak and she has trouble breathing as her nose is clogged and she gets lots of puss in her eyes, ear infections, anal buildup. I don't have the money to do surgery or other treatments so I just started to give her vitamin C, E, Fish Oil Cod Oil and Apple Cider on the wounds...am I doing this correctly?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry to hear about your old gals condition. These lumps are benign skin tumors called Papilomas and when they ulcerate or become infected, the pus will come out. If you had the money, your vet can remove these under a local anesthesia. The prednisone may or may not be helping since this has now lowered her immune system allowing infection to come in. Apply Betadine to the sores and masses that ulcerate or have pus in them. This is better on teh wounds than Apple Cider...it is good to give the supplements that you are giving but a better food to feed your old gal is Science Diet DD which is for skin conditions.
Give this a try to see if this will help. Also, giving her a supplement of Vitacoat or Derm Caps available at the pet store will help as well.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****