Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 6 year old Shih Tzu chewed on a lamb bone and hasn't eaten since. 1.5 days. I

Customer Question

Hi, My 6 year old Shih Tzu chewed on a lamb bone and hasn't eaten since. 1.5 days. I have to give her water from a dropper. I think she is constipated. There is no vomiting. I have taken on walks and she pees but no bowel movements. The morning after Maddie chewed on the bone she was shaking and lying on the bathroom floor. She still likes her walks but not as energetic as usual.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Did she chew on the bone or eat some of it?
Can she keep water down when you give it?
Has she had any vomiting, retching, lip licking or gagging?
Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Did her vet feel the bone or constipation present or xray her belly?
Did they start her on any treatment ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bone was very large (5" x 1") thicker at the end. She chewed on it for about 1.5-2 hours. She chewed mainly on the end part. (She has a very small mouth. Yes, she can keep water down. No vomiting , gagging or retching. She does lick her lips occasionally. Gums are pink but sticky. She appears to be uncomfortable but I can press on her belly. The vet didn't feel the bone. He didn't do an x-ray. She is also on thyroid medication for a low thyroid. She last got her Thyroid checked 1 month ago. I have been able to give her medicine. First, with doggie toothpaste and then with the bread/milk. When I took her for a walk right after seeing the vet, she had a tiny bit of dirahhea. I think it was from the vet checking her temperature. He told me to give it a day and suggested blood work.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now I appreciate the description of the bone, but was any of it missing? Did she eat any of it or just chew?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She didn't eat anything on the long end but she may have eaten a small part on the large end. The large end looks intact but maybe slightly smaller. There was cartilage and stuff on the end. I am not a bone expert and have never given her a bone before.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
I am glad to hear that that is the case. The reason is because bones and their shards can cause serious gut damage and lead to blockages as well. So, if she just had a bit of cartilage, then we'd be less worried about these but more suspicious of her signs being related to general GI upset from chewing/eating bits of this or related to bacterial gastroenteritis from chewing on a bone that likely covered in bacteria.
Now that aside, I do want to note that if she isn't straining/trying to go and her vet didn't palpate a gut full of stool, then constipation is unlikely. Instead, it is more likely that the lack of feces is related to the lack of eating (since little in means little out). Therefore, we need to focus on getting her eating for us.
Now the light diet options are great (though you could also try with rice and white fish, cottage cheese, or use GI sensitive foods like Hills ID or Royal Canin Sensitivity Control or Gastrointestinal), but from the sounds of it we need to address her nausea first as this is a common reason for appetite loss even without vomiting. Now if she has just seen her vet, then you can ring them about dispensing anti-nausea treatment. Otherwise, you could consider treating with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to recommend are:
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) or
* Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if she does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease her upset stomach. Once that is on board, you will want to try and see if you can get her eating (as you have) again.
On top off all of this, you do need to keep an eye on her hydration status. Its good that you are supplementing her but those sticky gums are a sign of dehydration creeping in. Therefore, if possible, you do want to check her hydration now. To check this and make sure she is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test at home. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist (as we have), and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). And if you are seeing any more of these signs, then we may need to speak to her vet about their potentially treating her with fluids.
Otherwise, just to touch on your syringe feeding. I am glad that yo are and that she tolerates it, but I do need to warn you that she will need ~48ml per kilogram of her body weight each day. So, that is our goal and we may need to offer more to meet that for her. Otherwise, I would just note that you can consider using unflavored Pedialyte in place of water since it does also have electrolytes. So, we may just need to adjust your current treatment approach a wee bit.
Overall, I am relieved to hear that she didn't eat bone material itself. With that aside, we can consider the above supportive care for her. And while we could use a GI lubricant (ie cat hair ball treatment, lactulose, miralax, etc), I do suspect we have reduced feces because of her anorexia instead of constipation. Therefore, I would suggest the above to settle her stomach and keep her hydrated until you can discuss treatment further with her vet.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, did you get my last response?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
The last one I got, you told me about the bone.
Have you sent another message since?
Did you get my answer regarding how to treat her (see above or let me know if you need to be repost it)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I did not get it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
How odd!
I do apologize, as I posted it within 10 minutes after you had told me about this bone. Here is what I said reposted for you -->
I hope this information is helpful.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Maddie has eaten a half piece of potatoe bread and two small bites of chicken breast. She still isn't interested in her food. I bought some pedialyte(clear). I took her for a short walk and she has very runny diarrhea. Not a lot but was very runny. Can you tell me when/if I should take her back to the vet? I also bought some organic baby food (pumpkin/banana) and gave her a small amount thru the dropper. (I did this before I knew she would eat the bread. Chandra
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
If she isn't keen, I'd be thinking about doing so before the weekend. That way we don't get stuck in the weekend with her being off her food and feeling poorly with this.
Take care,
Dr. B.