Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dr. Peter: My brother's dog has been on blood thinners for

Customer Question

Dr. Peter:
My brother's dog has been on blood thinners for as long as I can remember. The dog is a mail golden retriever and is about 9 years old now. In the last week, it appears that the dog is throwing off blood clots because he has been hospitalized three times in an unconscious state and revived. The dog has a heart condition.
I'm wondering what can be done here and if oral thrombin inhibitors can be used here-what do you think?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Your question is apt and please note that we are studying such therapy for dogs such as Max. Clopidogrel (Plavix) has been prescribed as an antiplatelet agent (extra-label) in dogs at 1-5 mg/kg orally once daily. A "standard" dosage recommendation is 1 mg/kg orally once daily. Some have suggested that if aspirin is also being used the clopidogrel dosage be reduced to 0.5 mg/kg orally once daily. Please also note that at this time that there is no substantial evidence supporting clopidogrel use in dogs. It's usually well-tolerated, however, but there is an increased risk for bleeding when aspirin is also on board.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is already on Plavix. What about Elliquid or Xarelto?
The pharmacodynamics of Xarelto have been studied in dogs but I don't find any published studies on its efficacy in that species. I see no references to Elliquid at all. Can you give me the generic name for Elliquid, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Elliquis (apixaban) and Xarelto (rivaroxaban). There is in vitro data for Xarelto. I really need a solid answer for this-I am a healthcare professional.
Thank you. I found the pharmacodynamic studies on apixaban in dogs but, once again, no studies in that species concerning efficacy.
I'll opt out so other experts can enter our conversation. Please don't reply to this post or leave a rating - either of which will dissuade other experts from contributing.