Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog is 13 years old and experienceing lameness in back right leg and started rimadyl 3

Customer Question

My dog is 13 years old and experienceing lameness in back right leg and started rimadyl 3 days ago was great till this am and back again seemed disoriented also and panting could hardly walk at all. is this artritis and what can we expect?Chester is usually very active for his age and this came on all of a sudden we live by a pond and at first we thought it was geese feces poisoning and had him checked for that threee days later his lameness in back legs occurred again he almost fell down twice took to vet he prescribed Rimadryl hes been on it three days 2nd day was great now today could hardly walk on back legs seemed disoriented and looking sad
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is not dyeing is he?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I missspelled dieing I am just upset
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry to hear about sweet Chester's condition. Since this has come on so suddenly, I would worry that he may be suffering from a stroke. This is when a clot blocks off a portion of the brain causing lameness and disorientation. I do not believe that he is dying but it is important that you take your precious Chester to your vet immediately for an exam...if this is a stroke, medication can be given to be sure it is not permanent.
There is chance that the arthritis has become so bad that it is starting to interfere with the nerve supply so that he cannot use his rear legs but this disorientation is a neurologic issue that should be examined.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****