Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

OUR RABBIT SEAMS CONSTIPATED BEFORE SHE WAS GIVEN EMEPRID AND

Customer Question

OUR RABBIT SEAMS CONSTIPATED BEFORE SHE WAS GIVEN EMEPRID AND RANITIDINE IS THIS OK TO USE ON HER OR CAN WE GET SOMETHING ELSE
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Is Lumpy straining to pass feces?
When did she last pass stool?
What did it look like? Bigger or smaller then normal?
Is she eating and drinking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SHE DOESNT SEAM TO BE STRANING SHE EATS QUITE WELL AND IS DRINKING ONLY WE HAVE HAD VERY LITTLE STOOLS IN THE LAST TWO DAYS AND SHE SPENDS A LOT OF TIME LYING DOWN NORMALLY SHE RUNS ABOUT A LOT AS SHE HAS THE FREADOM OF THE HOUSE AND GARDEN
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now I appreciate that you are seeing a lapse in normal stool production, but be warned that this is often not due to constipation.
Can you tell me if her appetite is decreased at all?
Is she eating her hay?
What size are those stools?
Any chance she could have eaten anything non-edible that could be causing a blockage?
If you press on her belly, does she have an tensing or resistance to you pressing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SHE SEAMS TO BE EATING OKSHE EATS A LOT OF HAY STOOLS ARE NORMALSHE LOVES TO BE PICKED UP SO SHE SEAMS RELAXED
AS FAR AS WE KNOW SHE NOT EATEN ANYTHING UN NORMAL
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
I am glad to hear that she is comfortable and that the chance of her eating anything that could get stuck is small. In this case, I would suggest that instead of throwing drugs at her that we instead use some GI supports to gently push stool through her GI. Of course, while doing so, we need to tread with care since cessation of fecal passage can be an early stage of gastric stasis (which is an emergency situation for them). So, any lapse in appetite or if we do not start seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours with our supportive care, then we need to consider a check.
Now while the Emeprid is tempting (as it is a prokinetic and stimulates gut movement), it is not advisable to use without her vet palpating her GI first. The reason is because if you were to miss a blockage, hairball, or even tumor compressing her gut, then using this drug could cause more harm then good to her. So, it is a common drug used with stasis but not one we can really safely use without making sure those other potential differentials are not present.
Instead, it would be safer to increase her fiber (either by offering more hay, using fiber based pellet feed like Protexin Profiber, or a fiber supplement paste like Fibreplex) as this helps keep them regular. Otherwise, if she isn't drinking much, we need to address that. To do so, you can syringe feed Pedialyte (48 ml per kilogram of her body weight to start) and/or feed or syringe feed veggie baby food (since its highly water rich). These can help if we do have overly firm feces trapped in the gut because of her poor water intake.
Finally, we can treat her with cat hair ball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie lactulose, miralax, food grade mineral oil). If possible, these should be given in food (ie the veggie baby food) to avoid aspiration. But a few milliliters of each of these can just help get things moving for her and hopefully restore her to a normal fecal output.
So, those would be our safest options to help her in this case. Therefore, I would advise the above with close monitoring. But again, any lapse in appetite or if the stool doesn't pass with the above, we'd need to think about having her seen to rule out those other worrisome concerns for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )