Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My much loved mini poodle had 5 pups sun night (3 days old) she's had 1 litt

Customer Question

Hi my much loved bitch mini poodle had 5 pups sun night (3 days old) she's had 1 litter before was excellent mum. She is looking after them but is occasionally growling / snapping at them when nursing. Never seen this behaviour in her before. Not eating much. Her temperature is normal checked very day. not displaying any signs other than the odd growling at pups when nursing and not eating much. Could she have eclampsia ? Would she have a temperature if this was the case?
She didn't eat much last couple of days of pregnancy. Normal diet raw (including bone /skin) was feeding her puppy food as well. At the moment I'm giving whatever she will eat, cooked ham, chicken, rice pudding but she's really not eating much (although the weather is very hot and we aren't use to it) not drinking or peeing more than normal. I've looked at symptoms online, only things I see that relates is 'mildly aggressive' although this not normal for her. And no appetite.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lost 1 pup this morning, another struggling so hand feeding aswell as mums milk. Checked her teats which feel fine. Felt along uterus feel no lumps or bumps.
Main question is would she have a temperature if she had eclampsia?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Maggie. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Yes, if a dog has eclampsia, she would usually have fever, a rectal temp of over 103, often over 104. Can you take her temp with a rectal thermometer?
She might also have pain in her milk glands, or infection in them. That might cause pain when the pups nurse, and she might also have a fever if she had milk gland infection, or mastitis.
Let me know what else I can answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her temperature is normal. I've checked it every day (last time 20 mins ago!) doesn't seems to be pain or discomfort when I touch her teats. Only other thing I can say is with this litter she tried to move them to my bed. Her whelping box in a good place environment good ect, this seemed slightly odd to me, when she growls I tell her off (only mild) then stroke her head n love her to distract while they feed. I've attached a video. I'm wondering if there's either something wrong with litter....or she's just overly attached to me, she does normally come to work with me however I've stayed home with her. Do u think it's medical if there's no temperature ? She never carried her last pups anywhere. I've a video of 26seconds but it won't let me send it (if u have a email it will go through to that) thanks
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If you can't post the video here, you can post it online, and send me the link.
That is good her temp is normal.
She is certainly trying to tell us something, by moving the pups, growling, and especially since she is not eating well. It could be something about the pups, but the problem could be her. It could still be a medical problem, even without a temperature above normal.
If she were mine, I would probably start with a good physical exam and maybe basic blood tests.
Let me know what else I can answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I post the video online for you to view? Youl see what I mean when you see it
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If you can't post it here, using the paper clip icon you should see above, then you could post it on the internet, like You Tube, and send me the link.
I can't supply you with an email; I can only communicate with you through the website.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi
I sent it to you on the email I received - Rebecca @just answer
Before I got your response. Hopefully youl be able to view it.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
That is not my email so I can't see it. That is this website address.
Can't you post it here? Many customers do. If you are having problems I could ask the moderators of the website to help you.