Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My English bulldog started coughing yesterday and every time

Customer Question

my English bulldog started coughing yesterday and every time he cough is spitting spit a lot of saliva that looks like foam. What can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Spikey. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Is he eating, and drinking normally? If you look at his gums, are they pink in color, or do they look pale?
This may not be serious. I need a little more information to help me answer your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr.
He is drinking and eating normally. His gums are pink.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
That is good news! If he were seriously ill, his gums might look pale, and he might not be eating well.
This could be an upper respiratory infection, like "kennel cough". If that is the case, he would need a course of antibiotics like doxycycline.
If I could, I would listen to his heart and lungs, to be sure there was no heart murmur, and no sounds of fluids in his lungs. I would put pressure on his windpipe in the middle of his throat, give it a little squeeze, to see if that made him cough (if it does, this is probably an upper respiratory infection, or "tracheobronchitis"). I would feel his lymph nodes, and take his rectal temperature (normal is between 101 and 102).
If all that were normal, I would start a course of doxycycline, an antibiotic, and maybe a cough suppressant. You can get Robitussin DM over the counter, and give him 1/4th to 1/2 of the adult dose on the label. Only get Robitussin DM, no other form.
If any of my exam was abnormal, I would take a chest Xray.
Let me know what other questions you have.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else I can help with, or answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that is all.
Thank you!!!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome! Let me know how he is doing.
Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can always get back to me with updates and questions after rating.
Hope he is better soon.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Spikey. How is everything going?