Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Boarded, licensed, and accredited veterinarian. Interests: general medicine, ophthalmology (eyes).
76915428

My greyhound just ate a 1 lb. bag of licorice

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Vet_Dr.Drea replied 1 year ago.
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian I am happy to assist you. Was this licorice flavored candy or true licorice? I ask because while the candy is likely to cause GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea), it is unlikely to cause severe or life-threatening complications. However, if it is true licorice, or candy flavored with true licorice (check the bag and see what it says if you can), it can affect hormone production by the adrenal glands, causing possible life-threatening effects such as high blood pressure and changes in the body's water and electrolyte balances. It has also been reported to affect muscle. Therefore, if it isn't just flavored candy and it has been less than 1 hr (ideally less than 30 minutes), I recommend inducing vomiting. You can do this by feeding him 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds body weight (I am happy to calculate Finley's dose if you provide his weight) hydrogen peroxide (the kind used to treat wounds NOT the hair bleach). Ideally he should then be taken to a veterinary hospital. Also, monitor him closely for signs of severe toxicity, including severe vomiting and/or diarrhea, muscle weakness, collapse, seizures, or unresponsiveness. ***If he shows any of those signs he should be rushed to the nearest open veterinary hospital immediately***That said, most licorice is flavored candy with low levels of true licorice and therefore present minimal danger, so again, checking the product he got into will help us determine how much risk he is in- please feel free to respond with that information if you are able to find it. Thank you for your question and I hope you found this information useful. Once you are satisfied with my answer please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time. All the best to you and Finley,Dr. Drea
Hello!
Just checking in- how is Finley doing?
Best, *****
*Please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!*

I'm just following up on our conversation about Finley. How is everything going?

Vet_Dr.Drea