Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My new white lab 8 weeks old is showing odd signs:lethargy,

Customer Question

My new white lab 8 weeks old is showing odd signs:
lethargy, heavy/labored breathing, grunting when on back, slow movement, almost seizure like episodes when sleeping. (I know puppies dream, I have 2 older mini-aussies so not a new "mom". I understand sleeping all the time is normal when baby, but doesn't seem normal that it won't play longer than 3 seconds.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Those are alarming symptoms in an 8 week old and should prompt careful auscultation of Bob's chest and X-rays of his heart and lungs. His breathing and exercise intolerance alone should prompt such imaging.
The diagnosis of "allergies" and administering a "steroid shot" to an 8 week old is not the standard of care and so I encourage your having a more experienced vet take a look at Bob. The "seizure-like" episodes are unclear to me. I'd like to see a video of them if you could upload a video to an external site such as YouTube and give me the link to it. Be sure not to park the video as "private".