Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I just realized my puppy ate some Abreva (cold sore medicine)

Customer Question

I just realized my puppy ate some Abreva (cold sore medicine) yesterday. He didn't eat the plastic tube. Has had diarrhea today and little rash on his tummy. What should I do?! He seems to be acting like normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! The active ingredient in this product is considered non toxic so I doubt that this would cause any harm to your puppy xcept perhaps a mild digestive disturbance (the loose stool you noted today). You can start a mild diet of white rice and boiled lean chicken to help firm up his stool over the next few days but if the diarrhea continues more than a few days it is time to have your vet evaluate himAs for the rash, this could be a reaction to the ingestion (he is allergic) or unrelated. You can use an oatmeal-based dog shampoo on the area with ten minute contact time once to twice daily to reduce the redness and inflammation and taper if improves over the next 3-5 days but again if this is not improving it might require antibiotics to resolveYou can also administer benadryl 1 mg /pound every 8-12 hours if the rash is itchy which might cause mild sedation.Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!