Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dod is sick. He can only walk a few feet. He is not eating,

Customer Question

My dod is sick. He can only walk a few feet. He is not eating, however he is drinking a little bit. He can't lay on either of his sides, he only lays upwards. I noticed that his heart is pounding extremely hard. Also, he is experiencing frequent muscle spasms. Please help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and would like to help you and Dumbo today. I'm so sorry to hear that Dumbo is so sick, doesn't have the energy to walk much, and can't lay down on either side. Along with his pounding heart I think that he may be in congestive heart failure. Has Dumbo been previously diagnosed with a heart problem? Is he on any medications at all? Does he take a monthly heartworm preventative?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No we have never given him any heart medication. He has never shown signs of heart problems. But he is fully vaccinated. Also, his belly is pulsing really hard. This pulse, is more on his lower-left side.

Where do you live? You have no mosquitoes and Dumbo doesn't travel anywhere there are mosquitoes?Also, would you check the color of his gums for me? They should be moist and pink, and they should blanch when you push on them, and then the color should return in 2 seconds or less.
Has Dumbo been coughing in the recent past?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In fact he does cough frequently. When he does cough, he will cough for about 15 seconds at a time. We currently live in Albuquerque, New Mexico and I do not believe mosquitoes too big of a problem in our area. His gums seem to be okay.

At this point, his entire abdomen is pulsing extremely hard. And his head and neck are shaking. Also, I have not seen him open his jaw once since this started happening. These symptoms started last night and seem to be getting worse, fast.

I encourage you to get him to emergency care! He may have heartworm as the cause of his heart disease and lung disease (coughing) or he may have valve disease.
For all of us, the thought of emergency care is daunting, but I believe that this is his only hope of possible survival!We do have a credit company called Care Credit. They make it possible to get approved for credit on the spot, and then don't charge you any interest generally for the first 6 months. This makes good veterinary care possible for most of us. The other way would be to have had health insurance, but honestly I think this doesn't cost any more than health insurance premiums in the long run.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help. But unfortunately, Dumbo did not make it through the night. He started having seizures. The veterinarian could not figure out what was wrong with him. She suspected that there were multiple causes.

I'm am so, so sorry for you loss of Dumbo! Losing a beloved pet is often more devastating than losing a close human in our lives, and I hope you have the support there as you go through this time of grief.If I can be of help to you during this time, just let me know. Also, we have counselors and therapists available on here.In deepest empathy for you,Dr. Barbara