Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog had one paw that had a small red bump and now his whole

Customer Question

My dog had one paw that had a small red bump and now his whole paw is broke out and the other paw has started breaking out. He has new places breaking out under his front leg. They look like blisters. He is very sensitive to me touching them and he licks the top of his paws constantly. The blisters are on the on the inside of the bottom of his paws.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. It sounds like he is having an allergic reaction to something. It could be something he came in contact with.First, I would wash the paws once a day with a gentle oatmeal based shampoo. That will remove any remaining irritants.Soaking the feet in epsom salts and warm water, for 15 minutes once a day, can help with some of the inflammation.Topically I would apply over the counter neosporin and hydrocortisone cream mixed together 50:50. Apply it 3 times a day. You can put little socks on him and tape them at the top with athletic tape to help protect the area.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Orally, you can give him human antihistamines. Try Benadryl 1 mg per pound every 12 hours. For example a 20 pound dog would take 20 mg of benadryl every 12 hours.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
It will also be helpful to prevent him from licking the feet and causing further irritation or damage. You can buy plastic e-collars at large pet stores like petsmart. If he does not like the e-collar try a bitenot collar. www.bitenot.com
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
If you do not see improvement in 2-3 days then he may need oral antibiotics, which you would have to get from a vet, because sometimes an allergic reaction can cause a secondary bacterial infection.