Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My rescue pit (inbred had about 1 year) is making this

Customer Question

My rescue pit bull (inbred had about 1 year) is making this weird snort cough noise when she stands up. It's more frequent lately. She's not the healthiest girl. About 5, going on 10. I'm a DDS. Had a dog who made similar noise late in life, vet said it was from enlarged heart
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response, but your requested expert isn't online which delayed your question coming up on the list for all to answer. I would like to help if you are still interested in an opinion.Do your girl Kitten's episodes look like this?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HXcMLokADc&feature=relatedIf she looks like the video this is a "reverse sneeze" which is caused by irritation of the pharynx. It can be from inhaled irritants. It can be related to gastroesophageal reflux. It can be caused by excitement or post nasal drip or an overlong soft palate. It isn't harmful as it's just a spasm of the muscles around the pharynx because of the irritant, but it's no fun to watch. It can be stopped most times by rubbing her throat and getting her to swallow. If it is because of gastroesophageal reflux then using Pepcid-ac (famotidine) may help. Give her pepcid-ac at 0.25mg to 0.5mg per pound of body weight orally (one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight) every 12 hours as needed. If this helps she can stay on it permanently as Pepcid is quite safe. You can even try once daily therapy after a couple weeks.If it is related to an overlong soft palate then surgery may be required eventually if this is interfering with her enjoyment of life or leading to breathing problems. Sometimes this can be related to dental or gum disease and the secondary inflammation from chronic infections. If this is the case a good cleaning should improve things tremendously. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kitten. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara