Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has a rash under his throat, he has been scratching

Customer Question

My dog has a rash under his throat, he has been scratching a lot, and it has a reddish look to it. He is also losing hair in this spot. Could this be a "hot spot"? and what is the treatment?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Welcome to Just Answer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help you and Roscoe.A "hot spot" refers to any dermatitis that causes the dog to repeated scratch or lick an area inflaming it and causing a secondary bacterial or fungal infection.General treatment is to prevent the scratching of the area, clean the surface with an antibacterial shampoo, apply a topical cortisone/antibiotic, and give antibiotics systemically and often cortisone systemically. If the underlying cause can be determined then this should be treated also.
Hot spots of the neck, are often caused by cloth collars that get wet and/or dirty.
You may not be able to take care of this at home, but you can try. I'd gently cleanse the area twice daily, rinse and dry it well, and apply a cortisone/antibiotic ointment. Roscoe will also need an e collar (hopefully this will prevent him from being able to reach the area).