Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My vet has had me giving my dog insulin injections. I have

Customer Question

My vet has had me giving my dog insulin injections. I have been doing it for about a year and she has been doing well. However, my vet retired, and I just recently moved as well. In the process, I needed to go to a new pharmacy to get more insulin for my dog. However, the pharmacy asked me what type (my old pharmacy never did??) and I don't know what to tell them. I threw the bottle away, and all I know is it had an orange top. My vet isn't around anymore to find out? What kind of insulin do I need to give my dog?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. This is a frustrating situation. Even with your vet being retired, the clinic / records that were kept at that clinic should still be available. You can call the clinic to see what the records show. It is very important to keep on the same insulin type to maintain regulation. The other option is to possibly call the pharmacy where you were getting the insulin previously to see what their records show. I would be surprised if they don't have you in their system with the type of insulin that you were purchasing.