Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog has just vomited up blood with a jelly type substance

Customer Question

My dog has just vomited up blood with a jelly type substance in it, also a sharp piece of bone came up too??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This sounds like whatever was involved with the shard of bone caused damage to the stomach, possibly the esophagus. If Hendrix is in distress with a lot of vomiting (especially if persistently bloody), diarrhea, abdominal pain or any breathing issues, then you need to proceed to your veterinarian immediately for an examination.
If this was a one-time incident and he is otherwise fine, then perhaps he needed to bring up this piece of bone and will be fine. As a supportive measure, if he was mine and seemed to have no further symptoms. I would not feed him for at least 12 hours (rest his system), although water is fine. Then I would only feed a bland diet (white rice and boiled chicken breast) for 48 hours.
But at any point if he developed more vomiting (especially if bloody) then he would have to be seen by his veterinarian for an exam, possibly testing (to determine if he has an intestinal/stomach obstruction or foreign object, a bleeding stomach ulcer or a condition causing hemorrhagic vomit like hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or another medication problem leading to this) which might include a complete blood count, chemistry profile, urine check, stool check +/- radiographs (x-rays).
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hi Melissa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hendrix. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey