Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Thanks, ***** ***** a 6 week old husky and my boyfriend applied

Customer Question

hi thanks, ***** ***** a 6 week old husky and my boyfriend applied half a packet of frontline 10-20lb on her. I am concerned as I have now read it shoudln't be used on dogs under 8 weeks. It was in spanish and I assumed my bf, who is bilingual, would check. It was applied 6 hours ago and the puppy seems fine but i am wondering if i should wash it off of her? thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How much does she actually weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how much she weighs, she is 6 weeks and 1 day. I got her today and my boyfriend applied the flea treatment as she was riddled in fleas. I am planning to get a vet to see her in the next few days. She is quite plump and healthy.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, in that case can you confirm whether he put half a pipette of the product on (since a packet would be 3-6)?

How long ago was it applied?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes half of the frontline Plus for 10-20lb dogs. It was applied around 8 hours ago and puppy seems fine. I felt concerned and hadn't received an answer here in quite some time so got a damp towel and wiped the area where it was applied. She is sleepy, but it's 2am here so I expect that's normal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,

Now while the company that make this product do site an age limit, a lot of the research for this product was actually done on puppies. So, a half dose of a pipette (I had been concerned by your note of him using half a packet since that would cause serious worry) would not be considered toxic here. Though to err on the side of caution since we don't have a weight, I would advise being a bit more aggressive with your treatment of the area. Specifically, I would just wash any lingering Frontline off the coat using cool water and dish soap (as it breaks down oils). That way, we can all breathe a sigh of relief that she is well now but ensure there is nothing more on the coat that can be absorbed and cause her bother.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )