Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog suddenly is trying to throw a white foam and has difficult

Customer Question

My dog suddenly is trying to throw a white foam and has difficult to poop and just make few drops of reddish diarria
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear about this concern. I will wait for you to reply with a simple, hello, so I know we are properly connected.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry that he is not feeling well.Vomiting causes can include:- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)- Stomach or intestinal foreign body- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s - Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer. To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. 4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. Emergency:If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea- poor appetite that persists- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly I was not sure when you were going to come back online, so I hope that information helps. Good LuckDr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pablo,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tango. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is fine, I took him to the Vet the morning after and looks like it was a heat stress event. He got medicines and rest and is now back fully recovered. Thanks for asking.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Great! Happy to hear things are back on track. Dr. Andy