Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate about 60 of my Vitafusion multivitamins today. He

Customer Question

My dog ate about 60 of my Vitafusion multivitamins today. He threw up and drank a lot of water. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Was it the gummy version?
Was there any xylitol in these?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Dr. B,
They were gummy version and there was no xylitol in them. He wound up vomiting a bunch out and drinking a lot of water. They are the Vitafusion multivites.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
I am very glad to hear that that was not an ingredient in these, as that would have been our main worry here. Now most of the vitamins here will cause no worry (as the water soluble B's + C will be passed in his urine, Vitamin E is very safe, and the vitamin A are rarely an issue as a one off ingestion). The only real concern is the Vitamin D (which this would be a total dose of 2400IU or 0.6mg), but as long as she weigh more then 6kg this wouldn't be a worrying dose for her. But if she is near that weight or less, then we do have a toxicity risk. This is because Vitamin D can cause issues with clotting of their blood (its actually used in some rat poisons). Otherwise, the other potential effects it can have are GI upset, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, clotting issues as I mentioned, and it can potentially damage the kidneys. But that all said, if he did vomit quite a bit afterwards, hopefully some of these have been brought up and even less absorbed.
In this case, if she is a very large dog, then we can likely just offset some of the risk by administering activated charcoal. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much he absorbs and reduce the intoxication risk here.
As well, with the vomiting and GI upset in mind, you may just want to offer a light diet option for the next few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). These can be fed as small frequent meals and after a few days she can be slowly weaned back to her own diet.
Further to this, we can also cover her with an antacid to keep her stomach as settled as possible. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) or
* Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Otherwise, especially if he is very small, I must note that the we may otherwise need to his vet examine him at this stage. They can check kidney function and clotting profiles if need be. And if needed, they can also put him on IV fluids to flush this all out quicker.
Overall, these would be our concerns for the Vitamin D in these multivitamins. If he did vomit some back up and is a large dog, then the risk would be lessened. But if he is small, too nauseous for the above, or his urine looks quite dilute/watery; then we may need to have a check and have him treated against that one problematic vitamin in these.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr. B!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
All the best for you both,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet