Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 1.5 year old Siberian Husky coughs and hacks every morning

Customer Question

My 1.5 year old Siberian Husky coughs and hacks every morning and night and often after physical activity. She usually coughs until she hacks up a pool of liquid that is often foamy and contains some mucus. She went through a 7 day course of clavomax and then another 7 day course of clavomax along with a second antibiotic at the same time. Its now been another month since she finished all the antibiotics and she hasnt gotten any better. She has all her vaccines and at this point its been around 2months of this and not getting better.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry to hear your Husky is having such difficulties at such a young age!
The two courses that should be considered for her include:
1.) Transtracheal wash which can be done at your veterinary office. What this does it takes a sample of the fluid in the trachea to run analysis on it for culture to determine if there is a specific bacteria causing the issue and what it is sensitive to (clavamox covers ~90% of respiratory tract infections but there is always the factor not covered and I have had dogs that culture resistant to every type of antibiotic but one that has yet to be tried), depending on the area you live in also fungal and viral as well but can also evaluate the fluid for types of cells in the fluid which can help guide treatment outside of antibiotic therapy
2.) Tracheostomy which means putting a camera down her trachea to evaluate the trachea all the way down to the mainstem bronchii to determine if there is a foreign body, an area of concern and biopsy it, or a culture of a particularly abnormal area. This would be done at a specialty clinic where they have the technology to do the additional testing. I can definitely assist in finding someone in your area or you can ask your veterinarian for a reference. I am never offended when I am at the end of my diagnostic capability to refer to someone who can run additional testing...
I hope this information is helpful, I cannot imagine how frustrated you are with her not improving but hopefully with the above steps you can get some answers and her feeling well enough to be the 1 & 1/2 year old dog she should be in activity level!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman