Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

My dog has been diagnosed with protein malabsorption, and now

Customer Question

my dog has been diagnosed with protein malabsorption, and now he is not eating....what should I do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help you and Milo today. I'm sorry to hear about Milo's diagnosis and now not wanting to eat. Have you just started a new diet for him? Has your vet done any biopsies of his intestine to determine what is causing Milo's malabsorption? Is Milo taking any medications or supplements to help with the malabsorption?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As a result of taking the steroids, to jump start his appetite, the steroid elevated his liver values.....so we backed off the steroids, (his liver values decreased by 60%) and his appetite increased somewhat.....is there anything that can be done to reverse the liver damage?
Good morning!
The liver is an amazing organ that heals very well! You can give Denamarin to help the liver to heal. This is a combination nutriceutical that is an antioxidant for the liver. Milk thistle can also be used. Your vet will have something on his shelf.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is Denamarin, sold over the counter?
Yes. You can check your local pet store or order it from Amazon for example. Your vet probably also has this as over the counter too.