Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

My elderly Dachshund continually coughs up phlegm during the

Customer Question

My elderly Dachshund continually coughs up phlegm during the day and night. Most of the time it is just mucus but sometimes partially digested food. This has been going on for several months yet his appetite is good and he seems happy. His diet is grain-free chicken and rice dry food. A local Vet checked him for heart failure, but his heart is fine. She suggested giving him antacids, but he is resistant and it doesn't seem to help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help you and Max today.It's nice to hear how well Max is doing and happy he is. . .great way to spend his golden years!It's not unusual for coughing to lead to a small amount of vomiting or regurgitation. I agree with your vet that an antacid could be helpful. It also would be a good idea in an attempt to protect his esophagus from stomach acid which will inflame it.Have you had any diagnostics, like a chest xray, to try to determine the cause of his cough?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - we spent about $300.00 in testing. The antacid has to be forced on him as he doesn't like to take it. Any ideas about liquid vs tablet? I think the mint flavor puts him off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The testing we had done was actually last summer.
Thanks for your reply!
Do understand Max not liking to chew up a mint flavored antacid. You might be able to hide Pepcid in his food, some peanut butter or a Pill Pocket. After I send this message I'll go look up the dose for him.
Do you faithfully give Max a HW preventative monthly year round? When was he last tested for HW disease?
The dose for Pepcid is 0.5 to 1.1mg / kg of body weight. How much does Max weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20lbs
So twenty pounds is a smidge over 9 kg. So Max's dose would be 5-10mg once to twice daily. Pepcid comes in pills, chewable tablets, gelcaps and a powder to make a liquid dose with. I'd recommend the 10mg pills. You could cut this in half and hide it in his food or a treat. I don't think the liquid would work, because he would still taste this. I'd start with one dose every 12 hours, and if this helps his coughing then you could try one dose every 24 hours. If 1/2 tab every 12 hours doesn't do much, try 1 whole tab every 12 hours.I'd consider getting a follow up chest x ray this year to compare with last years. Really, an x ray 1 year ago is like our relying on a 7 year old x ray. . .a lot can change!How about HW testing and monthly preventative. . .is he current on these?