Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My vet put my dog on the prescription Science Hill weight

Customer Question

My vet put my dog on the prescription Science Hill
weight loss diet so I bought her the Wet r/d and the dry metabolic advanced food she does not want it she likes the Caesar's sometime she'll eat a little of the dry science Hill but she really just likes the Cesar's so what should I do I don't want him not to eat for days.she will also eat chicken if I make it for her what should I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. That isn't surprising that Sister wants to eat the other foods - the Ceasar's and the chicken are definitely more flavorful. She knows what tastes better. The important thing here is to realize that you are making health / diet changes for her that will help her to lead a healthier and longer life. I'm assuming that your vet made this recommendation for the weight loss diet as she is needing to lose some weight. Being overweight puts more stress on the cardiovascular system, the joints, the respiratory system, and can lead to other health issues like diabetes.
The Hill's r/d is as low of a calorie of diet as that company makes. In a situation like this, you could ask your vet to switch to Hill's w/d as this is a low calorie diet (not as low as r/d), but definitely good for weight loss and it does seem to be more palatable. I personally have my own cats on the feline version to help with their weight (I inherited a cat that was grossly overweight and with persistence this is being corrected).
I know you don't want her to not eat, but she's trying to train you to give her the foods she wants. You have to be tough and realize that in the long run you are doing what is best for her. In a way I can compare this to having kids. My own kids would love to eat cookies for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They give me sad eyes and say why not when they ask for them, but I don't do that as I know they need good nutrition to be healthy. She won't starve to death with her new diets as she will eat when the hunger is enough. You are again helping to train her to the new foods.