Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have an 11 day old puppy that isn't wanting to nurse

Customer Question

Hi, I have an 11 day old puppy that isn't wanting to nurse and has a blueish cast to her stomach. Do you have any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks, Kim
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kim,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian, and I'd like to help you out today.The bluish cast indicates that your pup isn't getting enough oxygen to her blood. This could be due to something like pneumonia (likely from aspiration of milk while nursing or being fed) or heart failure.Has she nursed up to this point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, she nursed well for the first week. I have her on amoxicillin and I'm tube feeding her. Is there anything else that I can do for her?
Thanks for your reply. If she does have pneumonia, amoxi may not have a broad enough spectrum of action. She would probably do better on Clavamox. If this is her heart, there is probably not much to do, or open heart surgery may correct a congenital problem. Not necessarily a recommendation, but possible if this is her problem and you'd want to do that.I think other than getting her on Clavamox you are doing everything you can at home. I would recommend that you have your vet there evaluate her. Even with just listening to her chest, your vet would likely be able to tell if it is her heart or lungs (pneumonia),
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
You are welcome. I'm so sorry that she is this sick right now, and hope that she has something treatable. She may also benefit greatly with oxygen supplementation. It's not uncommon for these little guys to get pneumonia, and they really benefit from a warmed oxygen cage while antibiotics are started. Also, your vet could give her some warmed SQ fluids to combat any dehydration.